Tuesday 27 January 2015

Existing Miss Havisham's



Reference: Paula Wilcox in the 2013 theatre production of 'Great Expectations'

Although I haven't seen the production of 'Great Expectations', I can tell from this image that they have portrayed Miss Havisham as a crazy,cruel women who is stuck in time, just by the way her facial expression is and the dramatic makeup that she has on. As this is a theatre production the makeup had to be more extreme for the audience to see. Because I have not seen this I'm not quite sure what point this is at in the film, but from the makeup it seems quite early on as she looks younger, but then because of the dark lipstick it could also be near the end of life, as I feel like they are trying to show that she is a cold women and that she hasn't looked after herself since she got jilted at the altar.


Reference: Helena Bonham Carter portraying the character Miss Havisham in Mike Newell's film adaptation of 'Great Expectations' in 2012.

When it came to this interpretation I feel like they have portrayed the fact that she was ghostly looking and I feel like that came across really well, however when watching the film I didn't feel like she had changed much from when we first saw her, the only dramatic change was near the end, where she catches on fire, just before then thats when you see her looking more older. Although I feel this one made her more crazy in the way she acted which she got more crazier as the film went which I felt added to the character a bit more than other ones that I have seen 

Reference: Gillian Anderson playing the character Miss Havisham in the 2011 BBC production of 'Great Expectations'

Whilst watching this three part adaptation that the BBC had created I found that they had really portrayed the character well, with the way that she is really made to look like she hasn't seen sunlight for a long time, and how well they made her look gaunt, The thing I like the most about this interpretation of Miss Havisham is that they have made her lips really dried and cracked, emphasising on that fact that she doesn't look after her self.



No comments:

Post a Comment