Thursday 22 January 2015

'Great Expectations' 2012 (Mike Newell)


Whilst watching the film 'Great Expectations' I found that some of the scenes were not of significance and if they were, they were dragged out making it feel like the film was longer than two hours, which made me lose focus on the film. However I did start to read the book before watching this adaptation and again I found that hard to read. Although of what I have read I feel like this interpretation is more accurate with how the events unfold in the book than the BBC adaptation of Great Expectations. Even though the BBC covered it with three one hour episodes I felt like I wasn't watching it for as long and that it was more fast moving than the film. 

The portrayal of the character of Miss Havisham played by actress Helena Bonham Carter wasn't what I was expecting. At first knowing that Helena was playing Miss Havisham I thought that she would portray her really well as she has always been in slightly dark gothic movies, and starred in many of her then partner Tim Burton who is known for his gothic movies. I also feel like it was just Helena dressed in an old dusty wedding dress, looking a little bit gaunt but not that much, I didn't notice anything unusual for this character, seeing as she was left at the altar she didn't seem like she was in any pain, although she was acting very strange and loopy at times, of which I can understand that can happen seeing as Miss Havisham hasn't left her home for a long period. I also found that it wasn't just Miss Havisham character wasn't what I was expecting it was also most of the cast, I feel like they were not right for the role and that there wasn't much emotion in it, making the whole feel of the film dull and unenjoyable.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f1/GreatExpectations2012Poster.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment