Tuesday 24 February 2015

Design Progress for Miss Havisham Make-Up

When it came to creating my own Miss Havisham from reading the book and different adaptations both in TV and film. I first wanted to create mine from when she near the end of her life.

My first idea was to have Miss Havisham looking quite old, tired and that living was becoming more of a chore. To do this I was going add wrinkles to my models face using a mixture of, red, yellow and green greasepaint mixed together to create a brown colour. Then using a pale white colour to highlight the darker liner to make the face appear more sunken as in the book Miss Havisham is described as shrunken to skin and bone. I had also done some research into how the lifestyle of Miss Havisham would effect her life, because of this I added in some sores around the nose due to the fact that her house must be really dirty and dusty and because of that something will irritate her skin causes sores. I also thought to add in some red greasepaint around under the eye and slightly into the inner corner of the eye to make her appear more tired and that her eyes are more sunken in, and also giving the effect that her face is sunken in and quite skeleton like.I will also put an off white colour on the eyebrows and eyelashes to make it look like she has aged. Below are photos of my first design, I am really happy in how this look came out and also to the fact that it didn't take me that long to do, which gave me a bit more confidence when it comes to the timed assessment. However I will not be going on with this look due to the fact that after more research I feel like Miss Havisham will look a lot worse than what my design here shows.


Practises in lesson



After realizing that my first Miss Havisham was a bit plain for how long she has been living in the same dress, make up and house. I then thought that my second idea should be when she was a bit younger, not by much, I thought that she would just have less wrinkles, like she would have the complexion of early 40's. Instead of using a brown colour to make the lines of the wrinkles I have chosen to go with colour grey as I think it looks more effective this way, I also watched youtube videos of other makeup artists creating old aged and they seemed to used a grey colour. I was going to add wrinkles to around the mouth as this is where some people's skin start to sag, as well as some on the forehead as this is due to people frowning and I can imagine Miss Havisham would frown. A slight brush of off white coloured greasepaint to dash through the eyebrows to show a bit more of the start of ageing, I will also add a small amount of blush to the apples of her cheeks, but very lightly as this would still be the make up that she wore on her wedding day. I also thought to add in some red greasepaint around under the eye and slightly into the inner corner of the eye to make her appear more tired and that her eyes are more sunken in due to all the crying she had been doing since she was jilted at the altar. After thinking about this look I then thought that it might be a bit boring as when I was watching the BBC's Great Expectation the thing I enjoyed the most was when Miss Havisham was looking worse and worse. In which I've decided to go back to my original idea, although making Miss Havisham look more iller and more things effecting her face.

No comments:

Post a Comment